Jesus Montero's offseason
- Seemed to be a candidate for the Arizona Fall League, despite the fact not a lot of Latin players go to the Fall League.
- Montero is committed to winter team back home in Venezuela. That's where he should play this offseason.
- “We’ll see," Newman said. "His finger’s got to heal.”
- Newman said he expects the finger to heal enough for Montero to play.
Ian Kennedy's rehab
- Throwing really well in Tampa.
- Bullpen sessions this week. Facing live hitters next week.
- Remains unlikely to pitch in a minor league game this season. Even the playoffs are doubtful.
- "The smallest of chances," Newman said.
The contracts of Juan Miranda and Jorge Vazquez
- Miranda has been optioned three times, but I wondered if he might qualify for a fourth option.
- "I don’t believe so," Newman said. "But I’d have to look that up."
- Vazquez was signed to a player development contract, not a one-year minor league deal.
- That means Vazquez will be back in the organization next year. They don't have to resign him.
Alan Horne's rehab
- Looked very good in his last Gulf Coast League outing on Thursday (seven scoreless innings, seven strikeouts).
- Struggled last night with Charleston (nine runs, eight earned, seven hits, four walks through 4.1 innings).
- “He’s still rehabbing, and he looked like a rehab guy last night," Newman said. "Shoulder strength. Command. They all go together."
Various injured players
- Brad Suttle (right) is not going to play this year. Not even in winter ball. "Next year," Newman said.
- Wilkin De La Rosa is in a throwing program. "He'll be back pitching, we think, in a week," Newman said.
- Dellin Betances is very much up in the air with what I believe is an elbow injury. Newman said simply, "I don't know" when asked when Betances might throw again.
- Obviously Newman's not going to say who's going up in September, but I asked if Scranton/Wilkes-Barre would get players from Trenton.
- “I can’t tell you who those are," Newman said. "But we’ve got Plan Bs and Cs to deal with whatever September call-ups we may or may not have.”
- That said, there is no one in Trenton who is guaranteed a call-up to Triple-A regardless.
- “There’s nobody that’s coming here absolutely," Newman said.
Hawaii Winter League
- There is no Hawaii Winter League this year.
- Everyone else might have known this. I did not.